Savannah – A Booming Economy & Key Logistics Hub
Savannah sprawls across three counties, and with more than 395,000 residents calling it home, is one of the fastest-growing regions in the state. The city benefits from a diverse mix of industry and services, as well as a history of sustainable population growth, which has all contributed to its ranking among one of the nation’s best cities for business and cultural richness.
Strong Economy & Workforce
- Home to Fort Stewart and Hunter Army Airfield, which make up one of coastal Georgia’s largest employers with more than 22,000 military and 5,773 civilians
- Georgia Ports Authority supports more than 369,000 jobs across the state and Savannah and contributes $20.4 billion in income, and $84.1 million in revenue to its economy
- Gulfstream Aerospace Corporation, the largest aerospace manufacturer in the Southeast, employs nearly 10,000 workers locally
- With the largest concentration of import distribution centers on the east coast, Savannah has attracted a host of major corporate retailers which occupy major footprints, like Shaw (3.4 MSF), Target (3 MSF), Home Depot (3 MSF), Wayfair (1.2 MSF), and more
- Hyundai Motor Group announced in May 2022 that the company will build a $5.5 billion electric vehicle plant on the former Bryan County Mega-Site, less than 2.5 miles from Georgia International Commerce Centre
Key Transportation & Logistic Hub
- 44% of U.S. consumers and manufacturers are within a one to two day drive of the Port of Savannah
- A 3.5-hour drive to major markets such as Atlanta, Orlando, and Charlotte
- Largest concentration of import distribution centers on the East coast
- Proximity vital for ocean carriers, cargo owners, and large retailers such as Walmart, Home Depot, Target, Lowe’s, IKEA, Floor & Decor, Wayfair, Shaw, and Dollar Tree
Georgia – #1 State For Business
Year after year, Georgia ranks as one of the top states for business. The state was named the No. 1 State for Business by Site Selection magazine nine years in a row (2013-2021). In 2019, Georgia became the only state to earn this distinction seven consecutive times in the history of Site Selection’s rankings, and it is now the only state to receive the honor eight times in a row. Area Development magazine also listed Georgia as the No. 1 state for business eight years in a row (2014-2021) and the No. 1 state for distribution & supply chain hubs.
Georgia remains on a record pace for economic development investments and job creation in the state during fiscal year 2021, increasing investments by 56% and jobs by 45% compared to the same time frame last year.